2009 was the year to remember, 2010 is now the year to look forward to...

So many amazing times and experiences, eye opening memories that will last a life time, along with lessons which we will take with us into the near future and some things which we will leave behind us as - we start the year afresh again.

Quote of 2008: “Always look forward, don’t ever look back!”

Monday, July 26, 2010

A change in Career? What's holding me back...

I am now two thirds of the way through my career, all up it’s about a total of 9 years to get your Masters ticket and then move up the ranks to become a Captain. Two thirds doesn’t seem like that much, but when you think about it I have been doing all this for 6 years now. That’s 6 years straight from when I left High School. I am now 23 years old. Am I too old to maybe consider a change of career? Maybe take a break from working on ships to dive into other dreams that I have? Am I too old to start something new? Too old to go back and start a new career through University? So many questions and thoughts are flowing through my head when I think about this. Questions of what if’s, of doubt, of maybes and so on...

I am still young and have my entire life ahead of me. I want to become a commercial chef one day and own my own restaurant. I want to travel the world and visit the 7 Wonders of the World in a 6 months O.E. with my partner. I want to get married and have my own family one day. Visit Antarctica before the earth heats up and so much more. I have my whole life ahead of me. A whole life of dreams, plans, options and choices. What’s holding me back though you ask, it’s the question of can I do it or am I too old? I guess the only way that I am going to find out is by believing in myself, taking the step and just doing it, with no looking back. Ships are always going to be here for me to work on. The other stuff will only be experienced and found out when I take that step.

So you can probably guess that after my final Oral exam in mid November there will be a lot of thinking and decisions to be made. Fingers crossed I make the right choices with no regrets.