2009 was the year to remember, 2010 is now the year to look forward to...

So many amazing times and experiences, eye opening memories that will last a life time, along with lessons which we will take with us into the near future and some things which we will leave behind us as - we start the year afresh again.

Quote of 2008: “Always look forward, don’t ever look back!”

Thursday, November 19, 2009

PASSING ON YOUR PASSION TO OTHERS



“There is nothing more spectacular than waking up in the morning and wanting to go to work. 13 steps away from your bed is your office and workplace surrounded by an ocean and wonderful sea life.”
Does this sound to good to be true? Most people can only dream of living a life like this, the lucky few that get to do this for a living, approximately 60% take it for granted. But not me! I consider myself blessed to be in this job. It is my dream and my passion and one which I want to share with the world.
A 60 year old guy recently came and visited me on the bridge of the ship, his eyes were the size of gold balls and mouth was open wider than the entrance to the Amazon River. He was amazed! Stunned and lost for words. 45 years spent working as a Steward on a ship and not once has he been able to visit the heart of the ship.
The words which he spoke to me are still pictured so vividly in my memory that I recall them whenever I am having a bad day at work.
“I wish I had decided to do something like this before I got too old, it was always my dream to drive ships but never got the opportunity to do so like there is available to young people today!” He now visits the bridge on a regular basis. I give him the opportunity to have a go at hand steering the ship and altering course. He just thinks it amazing. This has been my mission lately. To offer the opportunity to people to come and experience what I do for a living and actually step into my shoes for 5 minutes of a day. Now I have one visitor who comes to the bridge during each shift, whether they are a steward, cabin attendant, caterer, passenger, friend or anyone else. I give others the chance to do something that they never ever thought they would be able to do.