2009 was the year to remember, 2010 is now the year to look forward to...

So many amazing times and experiences, eye opening memories that will last a life time, along with lessons which we will take with us into the near future and some things which we will leave behind us as - we start the year afresh again.

Quote of 2008: “Always look forward, don’t ever look back!”

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Inspiring Moments Over The Last 8 Years... 2002


2002 – Japan Holiday then SONZ trainee voyage

The very first highlight which I can remember was my overseas holiday with my grandparents to Japan. It was the first country which I travelled to where English wasn’t the first language. I had been learning Japanese for the previous 3 years so that came in handy for me. Had the experience of seeing snow in Tokyo followed by the blooming of the Cherry Blossoms on the side streets. Japan was definitely and experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. The culture was fascinating and interesting to interact with.
Later on in August 2002 I joined the Youth Development Sailing Ship Spirit of New Zealand as a trainee. Not knowing anyone I boarded a sailing ship as nervous as ever and having no clue how to sail a ship or even if I had my sea legs. After the first few hours on board I was up the mast with three other trainees stowing the sails on the Topgallant mast in a blowing Gale force wind. From that day onward I fell in love with the sea and you couldn’t keep me down off the yards. Made some amazing friends of a lifetime and had such a blast that I didn’t want to leave and go back home to reality!