2009 was the year to remember, 2010 is now the year to look forward to...

So many amazing times and experiences, eye opening memories that will last a life time, along with lessons which we will take with us into the near future and some things which we will leave behind us as - we start the year afresh again.

Quote of 2008: “Always look forward, don’t ever look back!”

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Inspiring Moments Over The Last 8 Years... 2005


2005 – Aratere Dry Docking in Australia and Pacific Link in Fiji

This is where my sea career really took and upward lead. I made the transition from a small medical ship which works around the Fijian Island to now big foreign going ships. I will write about the Pacific Link in a separate note.
It was a fare bit scary at first, the transition but after 3 weeks on the Arahura (rail ferry) I was transferred to the other rail ferry the Aratere and sent to Australia for 9 weeks, why though - for a dry dock. The most interesting dry dock I have ever experienced. I was involved with many jobs and tasks that took me from the bottom of the double bottom ballast tanks, to the shaft space, heeling tanks, lifeboats and davits, bridge electrical room and then to the top of the mast on the monkey island – What an adventure to remember… voyaging from New Zealand to Australia and back was also a highlight for me. Seeing dolphins around the coastlands and whales in the middle of the Pacific Ocean was just amazing!